History of Scoil na bhForbacha
Brief History of Scoil na bhForbacha
According to local historians a Payment or Fee Paying School was in operation in Na Forbacha prior to the setting up of the National School. Conchúr Mac Donnchadha was the person named in relation to this school and it seems that he had a room rented in a premise in Cnocán an Bhodaigh for this purpose.
The Blácaigh Family were credited with giving the site for the Seanscoil na bhForbacha building which is now used as the Community Center. Aindriú Óg De Blácaigh,Landlord contributed thirty seven pounds,eight pence towards the cost which amounted to a third of the cost of setting up the school. The National Educational Commissioners contributed two thirds of the building cost, in addition to other setting up costs. It is understood that around 100 pupils attended school at this time.
Scoil Mhuire na bhForbacha opened its doors for the first time on the 1st March 1842.
The accommodation amounted to one room 45 feet long by 20 feet wide. Furniture amounted to 10 forms, ten feet in length as seating.
Aindriú De Blácaigh was the first manager of the school. In 1910 the room was subdivided into two rooms. By 1913 Coirnéal Seán Blácaigh was the last of the Blácaigh family to manage the school.
In 1911 the Parish Priest of Rahoon,An tAthair PJ Lally was to become the manager of the school as this was part of Rahoon Parish at that time.
An additional room was added in 1920.
English was the language of the school until 1911 and Gaeilge has been the language ever since then.
In 1950 the work was completed on the school in its current location. It was a two teacher school.
In 1986 two classrooms were added, in addition to a multi-purpose room, kitchen and staff room.